Sunday, February 28, 2010

bottoms up

So I decided to do something a little different, something I just found fun.  I had this image of a kind of candid shot, like something a friend would take while calling your name.  Plus, this crazy snow has been making me miss the beach like crazy!
I had a few problems doing this, and it took a medley of different mediums, and it STILL didn't come out the way I wanted.  It's mostly markers, acrylics, and gouache.  About 9" by 12".
I had to take a bunch of reference photos... butts are surprisingly hard to draw!  The drawback is that now there are currently way too many photos of me in my underwear on my powerbook.  It's like a 16 year old's myspace up in my iPhoto app.  Speaking of, I should delete those now that this is done...
I'm super bad at composition, so I had to draw a lot of thumbnails, rawr.

I eventually roughed this out, it turned out to be the final drawing.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

chirp chirp chirp :)

I tried my hand at screen printing... there were some mistakes, a little confusion, and A LOT of mess.  I took pictures and recorded my process.  Unfortunately, it was with my cell phone, so they're not of the best quality.

I sketched out an idea really quick, scanned it and fooled around with it using the pen tool in illustrator.

Then I drew it out by hand (since my printer decided to quit) onto vellum.  I used acrylic paint since it's the most opaque/fast-drying medium I have.

Then came the confusing part... the instructions said to use a "150W clear bulb or a BBA No.1 Photoflood bulb.  Either should be fitted with a foil pie tin."  I don't have those bulbs, so I collected all the desk lights in my room and added up the watts.  I figured it would be close enough.  However, I did have a foil pie tin, so I taped that on, haha  Then I covered everything up with an old bed sheet, turned off the lights in my room, and kept my fingers crossed.

Success!  I washed it out and got my image.. it was a little blurry, but that was expected... I didn't really follow the directions well.  And yeah, this is my shower :3

I had to work fast to prevent the ink drying in the screen... I made my own ink because the speedball kit didn't have enough colors, but my ink dried pretty fast, and I risked ruining the screen.  Wow...typing this I realize I don't follow directions well at all.  Anyway, I screened the pink parts first.

and done!  Here's one scanned:

Not the cleanest lines, but I had fun and now I know how to screen print for future projects :)

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

me :)

I sketched some of my every day expressions, (most of which horrify my mother and make her sigh, "this is why you don't have a boyfriend"), for a future project I'm thinking about.  It was a lot of fun, I'm trying to be more loose with my drawings.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010


Finally finished this today... it took forever!  It's not my best, and I don't like it much, but I thought I should finish it, since I haven't finished anything since graduation...  I'm just going to look at this as a practice piece I had to work through.  I had a lot of problems with it, and there are a TON of mistakes, but I learned from 'em :)

Thursday, February 11, 2010

rough sketches

I've been working on a piece since graduation, but I am determined to finish it this month.  Between Georgia and my other side projects, this one was getting left behind.  I'll update with the work in progress sometime next week.

Monday, February 8, 2010

Catskin Colored

So this has been done for ages, but I never update my blog :(  I've made a late New Year's resolution to update at least twice a week, so I guess I'll start with this!